Saturday, May 29, 2010

THE BIKE RIDE


When I was young I saw God as an observer or judge of my life. It seemed to me that God spent His time keeping track of all the things I did, both good and bad, so as to know whether I would enter Heaven when I die. Sometime later, I saw God more like a friend on a bike ride; a tandem bike. I noticed that God was in the back helping me pedal as I steered my life. I don't know just when it happened but one day, He suggested we change places, and my life has not been the same since.

When I had control, I knew the way. My life could be rather boring, even predictable. I often chose the shortest distance between two points. But when God took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts, up mountains, to beaches, through rocky places and would even travel at breakneck speeds. There were days where it was all I could do to just hang on. I discovered that God even knows great bike secrets; God knows how to turn the sharp corners into a wonderful bend, pass slower bike riders and even point out things that I would have otherwise missed. It is amazing what God sees. Even though at times I thought for sure we were headed for a wreck or that we were lost, He would just say, "Pedal, pedal!"

I will tell you, there are still days when I get anxious and ask, "Where are you taking me?" He just laughs and never, and I mean never, answers that question. He just says, “Trust me.” He takes me to people who have gifts that I need, gifts of healing, acceptance, and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey; our journey, God's and mine. And when we were off again, He’d say, "Give the gifts away, you were given them to share." And so I did, I would give my gifts away to other people we would meet. I found out that in giving, I received. I learned that in giving, my cares and concerns melt away.

I think I have learned to leave my boring life behind and enter the adventure that God offers me and really, to anyone. And I'm learning to trust God better, and pedal even in the most unfamiliar places. I am beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my God as my guide. And when I'm sure I can't go any further or when I get scared, God has an uncanny way of knowing. In those times God leans back, touches my hand, smiles and says, "Just pedal!"

3 comments:

Michelle Lambert said...

This is good, I am hearing this message everywhere I turn. The Lord is sending me back to school (shudder!) and like your "just pedal", He keeps saying to me, "just get into the field." THAT is where His peace is, His blessings, His provision. Like Ruth, I am going into this field He has laid before me, knowing that is where He will meet me :) Bless you! Michelle Prader

beccabrock said...

I enjoyed your message this past Sunday at Ooltewah United Methodist. I found your blog today and love the post about the Bike Ride. I'm learning, little by little, to give up my front seat. The front seat hasn't done much for me...don't know why I hang on to it so desperately! Thanks for the encouraging, uplifting messages.

Bill Effler said...

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, AND, "JUST PEDAL"...yu will make it...